The main areas of research:
- Theory of Digital Automatons
- Economic Cybernetics
- Intellectual Information Technologies
- Nonsmooth Optimization Methods
- Mathematical Methods in Reliability Theory of Complicated Systems
- Mathematical Methods in Operations Research
- Methods of Discrete Optimization, Mathematical Modeling and Analysis of Complex Systems
- Optimization of Numerical Methods
- Automated Programming
- Numerical Methods and Computer Simulation
- Methods and Technological Tools for Constructing of Intellectual Software Systems
- Methods of System Simulation
- Optimization of Controllable Processes
- Mathematical Systems of Problems Simulation in Ecology and Power Engineering
- Methods of Combinatorial Optimization and Intellectual Information Technologies
- High-Performance and Distributed Computing
- Real-Time Video Systems
- Microprocessor Technology
- Sensory Devices, Systems and Technologies of Noncontact Diagnostics
- Data Acquisition System
- Methods of Inductive Modeling and Management
- Problem-Oriented Computers and Systems
- Mathematical Problems of Applied Informatics
- Virtual Environment Systems for Scientific Research Organization
During fifty years at Glushkov Institute of Cybernetics the schools of computer mathematics and discrete optimization, mathematical theory of computing and artificial intelligence, system analysis and stochastic programming, mathematical reliability theory and the theory of programming that gained worldwide recognition were formed.
The Institute publishes three international scientific journals republished abroad: "Cybernetics and system analysis" , "Managing systems and machines" (jointly with the International Research and Training Center of Information Technologies and Systems), "Problems of management and informatics" (jointly with the Institute of Space Research), collections of scientific works "Computer Mathematics" , "The theory of optimal solutions" , "Computer means, systems and networks" , "Cybernetics and Computer Science" (jointly with the International Research and Training Center of Information Technologies and Systems).
The Institute is the basic organization of Cybernetic Center of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Ukraine National Committee of Informatics, Scientific Council on the problem "Cybernetics", Scientific Council "Intelligent Information Technology" of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Ukrainian Federation of Informatics, which is part of an international organization of informatics CEPIS.
The Institute has extensive experience of working with international scientific organizations, which supported dozens of successful research projects.
The Institute annually holds international conference in informatics and is actively involved in various academic forums around the world.
Today the Institute employs about 700 employees, including of over 400 researchers working at 26 scientific departments. Among them 16 are members of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 59 are Doctors of Science and 160 have PhD degree, 8 are Honored Scientists or Honored Inventors of Ukraine.